Monday, August 17, 2015

Beast Mode? Elite?

If you spend a lot of time looking at videos about calisthenics you quickly see that there are requirements.  Various groups have minimum set and rep requirements to be at certain levels of performance.  One approach I like suggests you take your max number of reps for a particular exercise.  Then if in your workout you complete three times this number you are "solid", five times and you are "pro", seven times and you are "elite" and ten times earns you "beast mode".  So, if the most pushups you can do in one set is 40, an "elite" workout would be to do 280.  Beast mode would be 400.  That's a lot.

I like this because it is a solid measure of performance and it also suggests to me that maybe I am not working hard enough.

I decided to try it and here's how I did:

Pull up: 20 was my max. I don't go to complete failure so I may have gotten a couple more.
12, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 = 118 = 5x - pro

Russian Pushup: 50
40, 30, 40, 46, 40, 50, 44, 37 = 387 = 7x or elite (woo hoo!)

Squats: 30 (tired!)
20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 = 230 = 7x I don't think this qualifies as elite, however, because 30 is really not my max. My legs were shot from biking 2 hours a day and doing squats all the time. I've done a set of 80 squats before so I'll have to try this one again.

I'm not a beast but I was pretty happy with these numbers.  The takeaway for me is to not to forget to work hard and push yourself. I don't want to wake up one day and realize I've been snoozing through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment