Thursday, October 26, 2017

UnChronicles: Volume 1 - I Just Spent Six Months in a Leaky Gut (More Like Six Years)

Or 10.  Or more...

On Wednesday I had confirmed what both of us (doctor and patient) have suspected.  Via blood test results, we have confirmed that I have leaky gut.  In addition to the standard tests like cholesterol and other markers (all normal for me), she tested for food sensitivity.  In order, starting with the worst, I am sensitive to:

Wheat
Banana
Yeast
Corn
Tomato
Beef
Dairy
Egg white
Chicken
Chocolate
Potato
Orange
Soy

Anything above 2.0 indicates "out of range" and wheat was 23.1, banana 23.  The least of the bad was soy at 5.8 followed by chocolate and apple.  Seriously?  Banana?  Apple?

Although this list is shocking and sobering, it's not surprising.  I think it is more reflective of what was tested for and what I ate prior to the blood draw rather than an exhaustive list of what bothers me.  That is to say, if I had eaten sweet potato and lentil before the blood draw and the testing detects these, they would have shown up too.  I believe these results are indicative of a fairly indiscriminately unhappy digestive system.  My inhaler history clearly reflects this.

To add to the pain, my blood pressure was through the roof, higher than I've had it measured outside of an emergency room.  She made me march down the street to the nearest pharmacy and fill a prescription for Lisinopril.  I don't want to take medication and she knows it, but for now I have no choice.

In the coming months I will try to document what I and my doctor are doing to overcome leaky gut.  Aside from the script for bp, we are focusing on diet and lifestyle changes.  As quickly as possible, as gradually as necessary.  Generally speaking, I will try to remain as "paleo" as possible, avoiding grains, dairy, sugar, legumes, anything artificial, and anything processed.  I will also try to avoid the foods on the above list as much as possible, with some exceptions.  For example, if grass-fed organic not GMO no antibiotic beef is available, I will not it.  My choices are so limited.

Additionally, may doctor wants me to "take it easy" because of the bp and the stress.  So that means dialing the bike commuting back by as much as I can tolerate.  Maybe to once a week, rather than 3 or 4.  I will also try not to do strength training every day and will keep the workouts short.

As far as supplements and additions to the diet, I am trying to add as much bone broth and fermented vegetables (yogurt is not an option) as I can per day.  I hate supplements, but I am reading over and over that they are essential to combat leaky gut, so I am taking l-Glutamine, Circumen, and fish oil.  There are others I need to add, which I will document as I begin to take them.

I am continuing intermittent fasting, and am attempting to cut my coffee intake by 50%.  Most sources say to quit coffee entirely but I will try to keep one cup a day and see how it goes.

And of course, no alcohol.  We'll see how that goes, but I'm not pretending I can get away with skipping that one.  It's largely what got us here in the first place.

Lunch today:  bone broth, grass-fed ground beef with asparagus (in coconut oil), a little bit of salmon and some beet greens, kim chi, sauerkraut, and olives.  Also, licorice tea, peppermint tea and ginger tea throughout the day.

Workout today:  twelve minutes of escalating density training (EDT) pull / chin ups.  I did 71.

No comments:

Post a Comment