Monday, March 19, 2018

About Two Weeks In, A Couple of Milestones

I'm on a journey to build back up to at least 10 sets a day of pull, push, and squat, but this time with better form. And when I reach rep goals within each without compromising form, I move to a harder version of each move and build that one up. 

I'm about two weeks in and have kept true to the mission of keeping the reps real and not worrying about totals.  So far pull ups have felt best and squats worst.  But I'm making progress.

For a few days now I have met the 10 set a day criterion without much difficulty.  I am largely doing three or fewer "rounds" at a time spaced throughout the day.  Usually by late afternoon or evening I've had enough.  I don't rush these and don't worry about rest.

The reps have remained in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 for pull, 12 to 18 for push and stubbornly stuck at 12-15 for squat.  The squats are feeling ok but I don't feel like they're getting any easier and I'm having a bit of tweakiness around the knees, particularly the left knee.  But I still feel like I'm doing the right thing here.

Today I hit the 10 set mark early so I decided to add for the remainder of the day a single round whenever I feel like it but where I try to hit a higher rep total.  To that end I just completed a round of ten chin ups, 30 push ups and 25 squats.  Two of those (pull and push) are at criterion and squat is coming close (goal is 40).  Pull feels very strong, push up feels great, squat is getting better.  Dips are still around 10-12 and are not improving much.  Overall I'll take it.  Very happy.

I would guess that I will easily be at criteria in the next week or so, which means it will have taken me about a month to move to the next level.  Which is, chest to the bar pulls, diamond push up, forward lean dip, and maybe a deep squat jump.  I think that's the best place to take the squat.  I really want to try to postpone trying the one legged stuff for as long as possible because I know that if I rush into it I will start hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment