Friday, March 9, 2018

Ignore the Numbers, Return to Form. That's the Mantra.

I am very early into my exciting effort to make my way to somewhere around 1000 very high quality reps a day.  The idea is to stick with form and to not blow it out and to gradually increase the numbers without compromising form.  Yesterday I managed around 10 sets (I think more, actually, and it's good that I don't know for sure) of about 5 very high quality  pull ups, 10 very high quality push ups, 7 dips, 5 high knee raises and 10 squats.  I woke up today as excited about this effort as I was yesterday.  That's good.  But already today I started thinking about numbers.  I thought that since I managed 5 good pull up reps yesterday all day without a problem, I should be able to handle 6 today.  Problem!  I also found myself in my second session for the day trying to remember how many total sets I'd done up to that point.  Again, problem!  Stop it!

So I forced myself to stop it.  Like in meditation, return to the breath.  I forced myself to shoot for FEWER reps with better form.  I brought the chest ALL THE WAY up to the bar for maybe 4 pull ups.  I paused my squats at the bottom and sometimes even at the top.  I did not set myself a mental goal of how many sets I would do for that session and instead went with the feel.

That's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment