Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Progress Report: Day 1, 51 Year Old Does "Steak" and Eggs Diet

I'm one day in and I'm still not skinny!  Dang it!

Seriously, though, I feel like a hundred bucks.  I really do.  It feels less horrible when I tie my shoes, I'm less foggy and my mood is pretty good.

Yesterday:

Lunch - a few strips of bacon, 4 small sausage patties, 4 eggs fried in olive oil.  (Already taking liberties.)
Snack - salami
Dinner - chicken, kale sauteed in olive oil
Drink:  two cups of black coffee and a green tea with dandelion (detox)
Debauch - 2 glasses of red wine

Yesterday's exercise:
Cable lateral raises
Dumbbell military press
Cable curls
Cable tricep push-downs
Cable crunches

So far for me "steak" includes bacon, sausage and chicken, and "butter" includes olive oil, and "coffee" includes tea and red wine.  Ok, you gotta make it your own.

I may also take liberties with the cheat "day" and make it more like a day and a half so it blends in better with what the rest of the family is doing for the weekend.  But my cheating will be fairly mild.  Mainly beer, some processed carbs, and some "clean" carbs.  Very little sugar.  I hate sugar.

Today's vital statistics:
Same height, can't measure the gut, weight 193.  I don't want to read too much into this but that's three whole pounds lighter than yesterday.  Water, bloat, whatever - I'll take it.

Today's exercise:
Farmer's walk - something like 10 times across the (small) gym and back with two 50 lb dumbbells.  I'm using this as a "fat burner".  The limiter here seems to be my forearms and upper back.

Since I'm at work I like to use the gym and do things that I can't do when I'm home.  Same thing at home - I like to do things I can't do in the gym (ring calisthenics, pull-ups, weight vest stuff, barbell stuff).  Today I'm doing legs and I have access to leg curl and leg extension machine but no barbell.  I do have cables so I will do pre-exhaust with leg curls and leg extensions and then do some kind of hack squat with the cables.  Then I'll probably finish with goblet squats and lots of body-weight, pause-at-the-top calf raises.  .  The extensions and the cable squats tend to tweak my knees so this will be ill-advised knee day I suppose.

If I find myself with a few minutes and some energy I may do some brief stationary bike sprints.  I put the resistance up to 15 and go for as long as I can (maybe 45 seconds to a minute) five to ten times.

No comments:

Post a Comment